6th May 2009

Got up and had breakfast, then went off to reception to ask about the steps we’d seen going up the dune. A man came out, pointed and showed us where we could walk up them so off we went to the bottom of the dune to see if we could climb it.
At that moment, we got a text from Ted telling us that he'd got a friend to drive Fran now so we didn't need to go back on the Monday. I’d left some things back at their house - sunglasses and a navy sweat top - so we’ll have to go back and get them, which we’ll do tomorrow, and then we’ll head off to Spain.

Anyway, we got to the dune and there were two men cleaning the sand off the metal steps and a girl was sitting in the sand, so Paul stayed at the bottom with the camera, and I climbed up about 70ft and sat with the girl. It was really quite scary, but a fantastic view.  I wanted to get the camera but was afraid to move.
The girl got it for me and I took some photos.  Then she held my hand and showed me how you could just run down the dune, it looked terrifying, but we walked down together and in fact it wasn’t half as bad as it looked.  You can dig your heels in the sand, which holds you upright.  I slid part of the way on my bottom but she held onto me and I stood up and ran the last bit with her.

Tina - Halfway up the 300 foot Sand Dune
When I got back to the van my trousers were full of sand, in the pockets, everywhere ha ha! Later that same evening, after a glass of wine, I felt a bit braver and wanted to go up to the top, so I persuaded Paul to take the video camera and film me.  When we got there a man came to have a look so I persuaded him to go up with me.  I assumed he was French but he turned out to be a Geordie.


I was so proud of myself, ‘cos I went as far as I had done earlier and the Geordie came with me.  I then got up and almost bounced back down the slope to Paul but the Geordie came down on his backside as I think he was a bit scared.  Then I went back up again but even higher this time – about 200ft, almost to the top of the steps, yay! I’m so chuffed as I’m scared of heights. It’s quite exhausting climbing up and down the steps, and I was scared too, so I didn’t make it right to the very top. All the time I was climbing I said to myself, ‘It’s okay, you’ll be alright, just keep going, don’t look down, please let me be okay!’  Ha ha, I’m such a wimp! Then I just bounced all the way back down again as if I was flying.  Paul videoed it all.  If we stay here again, I’ll go to the top and look over the other side as I’m really curios to see the view.  Up this high I could see the whole campsite and out over the tops of the pine trees, it was fantastic.  We walked back to the van and the Geordie stopped for a chat, then I played AC and we went to bed.  I’d had a tiring day!

No comments:

Post a Comment