27th July 2009

We're now heading back to England, goodbye bonny Scotland!  Although the weather has been awful nearly all the time, I still think Scotland is my favourite place.  If we ever thought we could move away and not worry about family etc. then I think we’d live in Scotland, it's absolutely beautiful.
We're headed to a Caravan Club site at Thirsk racecourse and hope that the weather improves a bit.
Thirsk Racecourse site
We got up quite late for us, 9am, so got ready quickly, no showers today, and got on the road.  We stopped at a Morrison's just up the road from the campsite and got some shopping and then at an Asda to have some lunch in their restaurant.

It was a long drive and we were tired and worn out by the time we arrived at Thirsk.  We travelled all down the east coast, saw the Angel of The North and even some RAF fighters across the A1 motorway.
I've never been to a racecourse before, and certainly not one with a campsite in the middle of it.  I understand that on race days you have to move off the racetrack area to another site and then you can come back afterwards.  Mmm think we'll move before race day which is Thursday.

Angel of the North
RAF trainer jet
 The campsite is okay, light and airy after the closed in feel of the last one.  The showers are a bit old and weird, you open a door that looks like a cupboard and step up into the shower, these are what the horse handlers, grooms- use.

I'm sitting outside writing this, no rain!  It's even a bit sunny, quite windy but it's nice to get some fresh air for a change.  It's not exactly warm for this time of year either.  Would be nice to go back to Europe, it's probably hot there but the campsites are so expensive in the holiday season that we can't afford them.  About €40 per night for most of them in July and August and that's partly why we made the decision to come back to the UK for the summer.

Besides, I wanted to tour the UK.  I've lived here all my life but haven't seen much of it before, and have never been to Scotland or Wales or ‘Up North’ so I really wanted to see some of my own country too. Paul's been booking some of our campsites ahead in case it gets busy, and he says he just booked a nice looking adult only site near Shrewsbury.  It's a bit expensive at £25 per night but we’re fed up with kids everywhere running about and being noisy, we just want a bit of luxury for a change.  Okay I know it's school holiday time, and to be expected, but it still irritates us as we just want to enjoy the peace and quiet and we're NOT on holiday.

We'll have dinner in a bit, we bought pizza for tonight and I'm really looking forward to mine, goats cheese, red onion and rocket mmm, Paul's got spicy chicken.  I'm not eating chicken again at the moment as we saw a TV programme called ‘What's in your Food’ and it showed what they inject into them to make them look plump.  As well as water they inject beef protein which is all the yucky bits of the animal ground up.  Really, the state of our food these days is disgusting.  They wouldn't have put up with it in the forties! So, we're eating more veggie and fish things, which won't do us any harm.

The difference the weather makes is amazing, you instantly feel happier if it's sunny.  I'm going to sit out here for a while longer as I don't want to go inside yet.  Oh blimey, I've just offered to help Paul wash the van, I must be mad or am I ill?

No comments:

Post a Comment