12th June 2009

Ha! Did I say the sun was back? Well it was very short lived as it started raining early this morning, so we got up, Paul had a shower, I didn't bother, and we left the site. Shame really, we were hoping to stay if the weather remained good but no point if it's raining as there's nothing to do and the shops are too far away, so we drove on to St Michaels mount or rather Mont Saint Michel. We stopped on the way at a Super-U so I could use the toilet again and Paul dropped our waste water as they had an Aire de Borne or Service Point, for camping cars, at the supermarket. We carried on and arrived at Mont Saint Michel about lunch time and drove down the causeway so we could take some photos.
Mont Saint Michel
Paul: You could park up in the large car park for the day if you wanted, but the charge is €8 and no hook-up or water.  We went back into the little village at the end of the causeway and looked for a more suitable campsite.  There are two that we saw, one is in the ACSI guide and the other isn't.  We looked at both and the non ACSI one was a lot better and at only €17 per night not a lot more than the other one so as it had a restaurant too, we decided to stay there.  We had lunch in the restaurant, which was really expensive at €51 and the food wasn’t even very good. But I suppose for where it is, that was to be expected. After, we walked around the little village area where there was a small supermarket and some souvenir shops. The supermarket had the same biscuits we had bought at Leclerc but the price was €6.90 whereas we had paid €3.90.  What a rip-off, tourist prices!
Wild Camping at Mont Saint Michel €8 per night
Tina: Apparently Mont Saint Michel is all lit up at night so we may walk down the road tonight and have a look. I think sometimes you have to do certain things, be a bit crazy, like when I set the alarm for 3.00am back in Reigate and Paul and I got up to see the meteor showers, or when I climbed the sand dune at Pyla Sur Mer even though I'm terrified of heights- so tonight we'll walk to see Mont Saint Michel in the dark.  Ha ha I'm mad!
Back to the van and I played AC whilst Paul washed the van.  We've discovered some scratches down the sides caused by brushing hedges and twigs along some of the narrow roads; some along the side windows and more up high on the paintwork. Hopefully when we get back to the UK we can get the deeper ones polished out, in the meantime Paul got out some T-Cut and managed to remove most of them.

We are sitting outside at the moment although it's not particularly hot, just warm enough to sit out and there's an old Frenchman and his wife on the pitch opposite and he is opening some fresh oysters.  Paul's already been over and spoken to him so he called me over to see them, yuck they look like giant bogies.  I don't think I'd try one but you never know I might be tempted. I suppose you can always spit it out again. Problem is you can't just buy one, you have to buy a dozen, so maybe not.  We'll go in and watch TV later and go to bed.  I'm hoping we can get the bus down to Mont Saint Michel tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to that actually.
Opposite the caravan with the oysters
We waited until dark and then we walked along the road to the causeway. Once outside the town, there were no street lights and it was pitch black and we couldn't even see the pathway. We took some photos, which didn't come out very well, and walked back to the van. Well, at least we’ve seen Mont Saint Michel lit up in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment